Friday, August 28, 2015

DIY Black Out - Heat Blocking Window Covering

We have these huge slant windows in our bedroom that go all the way up to the vaulted ceiling. They are so pretty and it is beautiful when they let light in, especially in the winter. But sleep is more important to me then the nice pretty light during the day. Also, in the summer it is just way to hot for that sun to heat up my bedroom first thing in the morning. 

These pull down shades are what the previous owner had.


We never changed them because I was holding out for shutters. I wanted something that I could open and close with some sort of ease. Those windows are so high, nothing is really practical. But those dirty old ridiculous things were just so bad! We had to do something. Mr. C build a frame out of 1 x 1's and I bought some energy star black out curtain lining at JoAnns and stapled it to the frame. It fits perfectly in the window, it is super light and it cost about $24 per window. This is the lining I always use, Roc-lon 100% Blackout Budget Drapery Lining.


The gaps that let light in are all gone around the edges and it is very clean. Except for the missing trim.


Now I just need to get rid of the blue curtains, but only after I figure out some sort of hidden black out that is easy to roll up in the morning and put down at night.


No comments:

Post a Comment