Sunday, January 1, 2012

Recipe - No Bake Energy Balls

Now that I am feeling a little less overwhelmed, I am back to blogging and surfing blogs again. Today I found this wonderful recipe for energy balls at Smashed Peas and Carrots.



Too bad, my picture isn't quite as good as hers. Even so, it looked like something my family would love so I had to try it. The only thing is, I can never follow a recipe exact, I'm always changing things up a bit. So, here is my version.

1 c oatmeal
1 c unsweetened coconut
3/4 c flax seed
1/2 c all natural peanut butter or any other nut butter (for those that can't have peanut butter like my son)
1/3 c honey 
1/4 cup semi sweet soy free chocolate chips or 1 packet Nestle chocolate milk powder (this change was because it was the only choc. I had in the house.)

My ingredients:
I buy oatmeal in bulk because it is cheaper and we go through a ton in our house between these energy balls and breakfast. Since my son can't have wheat, corn, peanuts or soy, I can't do normal sandwiches for lunch. These energy balls are a great protein to replace peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or processed lunch meat.

My coconut comes from the bulk bins at Sprouts.

Our chocolate chips must be soy free again because of my son.

I usually buy the nut butters at Trader Joe's because they have a smoother texture and stronger flavor.

I always get local honey at our weekly farmers market. It helps with allergies.

Mix it all together.



Form it into little balls, it helps to wet your hands every few balls to prevent it from sticking to your hands. Then refrigerate. I store mine in the fridge because I used the peanut butter you have to stir. They were delicious! My kids loved them. I loved them. Mr. C loved them.


Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment