Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pants!

I was so excited when I found out I was having a girl, I started sewing right away. I never knew what to sew for my boy. I always wished it was easier to sew for a boy, but for me, I just don't have the ideas. Anyhow, over at Made, they are having a "Celebrate the Boy" month. This is so exciting for me because my son LOVES it when I make things for him. It doesn't even matter how ugly it is, as long as I made it he will use it. Needless to say I hoped right on board and am checking out all the boy stuff every day. I even have a couple I am going to make from last year's "Celebrate the Boy" month.





Pants have been the most intimidating thing for me to sew. It's one of those things that I couldn't look at and figure out, so I didn't try. I am so not a direction reader. I like pictures. But over at Made for Celebrate the Boy, she made a simple tutorial that I had to try. She also uses all kinds of cute fabrics.


I've been trying to figure out what fabric I was going to use for pants and yesterday a friend brought me a huge pile of old skirts that her mom wore in the 60's. (Thank you Jill!) They are all these wonderful wool fabrics in wonderful condition. I thought they would be perfect for making pants for my son. Oh, and of course making dresses for my girl.



I love this one! This will be so cute in pants.

I picked a plain beige fabric for my trial pair. I worried a bit about the wool because my son is so the princess and the pea when it comes to clothes. It has to be soft or he says it's itchy.

Here is the fabric I chose. I cut it up and these are my 2 front and back pieces. It looks more like a linen to me, but I guess it's wool.


I used a pair of C's jean's to trace the pattern, but I forgot to flare the legs a little. They came together very nicely, but my little princess and the pea, or should I say prince and the pea hates them. As soon as they touched his leg, he said, "Itchy! I don't like them." I was barley able to get them on him for the picture. 

 He's SO dramatic!
 Already taking them off.

So, they are a little too skinny and they look like a potato sack. At least I learned how to do pants. :-) But these ones are a waste. Maybe I can give them away to some little boy that isn't so picky about his fabric. At least they didn't cost me anything to make.

Oh my! I just went over to MADE and saw that she now has a post up about linning the pants. I'll have to try that.

No comments:

Post a Comment